Assistant Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering
My group investigates the dynamics of soft matter and complex fluids, which are critical to understand for many applications involving energy and the environment. For example, there are challenges associated with pumping, pouring, and mixing lignocellulosic biomass in processes designed to produce renewable fuels, chemicals, and composites. In addition to bulk rheological concerns, the dynamics of molecularly thin layers of material at a fluid interface, or interfacial rheology, impacts gas and oil recovery and generally governs the stability of foams, emulsions, and biological membranes.
Currently I am interested in the rheology of interfacial systems, where the interface between two fluids can be used as a construction site for advanced materials such as conductive thin films, and 2D polymer membranes. Interfacial rheology also plays an important role in energy recovery systems, and our investigations of the fundamentals underlying the dynamics of fluid-fluid interfaces helps to address real industrial challenges. Whether it is a bulk fluid, or a fluid interface, the group focuses on linking microstructure and material behavior; links that enable us to design new experimental methods for the laboratory, formulate novel advanced materials, and propose new strategies for solving important industrial problems.
425 Alderson Hall
1613 Illinois Street
Golden, CO 80401
Office: (303) 273-3790
FAX: (303) 273-3730
- David Goggin, BS Angelo State University
- Shalaka Kale, BS Institute of Chemical Technology
- Benjamin Appleby, BS Oregon State University
- Jessie Troxler, BS Tulane University
- Jianger Yu, PhD Virginia Tech
- BS, MS – Virginia Tech
- PhD – University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Post-Doctoral Study – ETH Zürich, Switzerland and KU Leuven, Belgium
- Goggin, D.M., H. Zhang, E.M. Miller, J.R. Samaniuk, “Interference provides clarity: Direct observation of 2D materials at fluid-fluid interfaces,” ACS Nano, 14 (1), 777-790, 2020.
- Pradilla, D., S. Simon, J. Sjöblom, J.R. Samaniuk, M. Skrzypiec, J. Vermant, “Sorption and interfacial rheology study of model asphaltene compounds,” Langmuir, 32 (12), 2900-2911, 2016.
- Samaniuk, J.R., E. Hermans, T. Verwijlen, V. Pauchard, J. Vermant, “Soft-glassy rheology of asphaltenes at liquid interfaces,” J. Disper. Sci. Technol., 36 (10), 1444-1451, 2015.
- Samaniuk, J.R., C.T. Scott, T.W. Root, D.J. Klingenberg, “Effects of process variables on the yield stress of rheologically modified biomass,” Rheol. Acta, 54 (11), 941-949, 2015.
- Samaniuk, J.R., J. Vermant, “Micro and macrorheology at fluid-fluid interfaces,” Soft Matter, 10 (36), 7023-7033, 2014.
- Samaniuk, J.R., C.T. Scott, T.W. Root, D.J. Klingenberg, “A novel rheometer design for yield stress fluids,” AIChE J., 60, 1523-1528, 2014.
- Samaniuk, J.R., C.T. Scott, T.W. Root, D.J. Klingenberg, “Rheological modification of corn stover biomass at high solids concentrations,” J. Rheol., 56, 649-665, 2012.
- Samaniuk, J.R., C.T. Scott, T.W. Root, D.J. Klingenberg, “The effect of high intensity mixing on the enzymatic hydrolysis of concentrated cellulose fiber suspensions,” Bioresour. Technol., 102, 4489-4494, 2011.
Honors & Awards
- 2020 NSF CAREER Award
- 2018 ACS PRF DNI Award